Darkness
14 Eleasis, 1487 DR
Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I didn't go into the forest that night. If I could have just matched with someone as easily as the others did. I tried, I really did. My mother was so upset that day I came back without making a spirit pact. She said no ones ever not connected before. My father worried in silence.
I felt like I had to do something so I broke the tribal rule. I went into the forest at night. All the children had been told the stories of evil spirits eating souls, of how if you made a pact with a night spirit your soul wouldn't cross over to the afterlife when you died. The spirit would keep it, devour it.
I didn't care. I had to link with a spirit before the Coming of Age ceremony in the morning. So I snuck out of my hut and ran into the darkness. I headed into the deepest part of the forest, the forbidden part. The part of the forest that stayed dark day or night. It was cold a quiet. I was scared.
Eventually, night spirits came to devour me, a quick meal to torment. I ran deeper trying to escape their clutches. Red eyes. Sharp fangs. Blood dripped mouths. I tripped and curled into a ball ready to accept my fate when a booming voice called out, "Close your eyes." I did and in that second the gnashing of teeth and growls ceased.
As I looked up, a large bird-like creature kneeled over me. It stood, stretched out its wings, and began to walk away, "Go home." It called out. I stood up, tears in my eyes, "I can't. Please, create a pact with me." I was desperate. I couldn't fail twice.
The spirit stopped and looked at me. He asked if I knew about my soul and what would happen if I made a deal with him. I knew, of course I knew, but I had no other choice. The spirit was impressed by my commitment and agreed. He got face to face with me and said, "This is going to hurt like nothing you've ever felt before but it won't last forever. Let's see if you survive."
I dont really remember what happened after that. It got dark, I could hear screams. Were they mine? Pain. I felt pain. Breaking, crushing, stretching. Excruciating pain. And then I woke up. I was at the edge of the forest, a small creature, half-owl, half-cat by my side.
Drums started beating as I hurried into the village. I lined up with the other children ready to present my spirit. When my turn came around people were shocked to see me. The village chief grabbed my arm, looking in fear at my pact tattoo. He hurried me into a tent, calling out to my parents to follow.
Inside the tent it happened so fast. The chief saying the tattoo was a mark from a night spirit, my mother crying, my father in shock. I had broken the greatest rule and I had to be punished. The chief said death was the only option. My father begged for my life as my mother stood silent, unable to look at me.
Cwl suddenly appeared behind me in full spirit form, "How dare you decide the fate of my host! This girl is mine to do with as I please! Killing one of your own, how disgusting you creatures are. I should destroy this village where it stands."
Everyone was terrified. My mother screamed as I tried to explain how Cwl saved me in the forest, that he wasn't all bad. No one listened.
In the end I was banished, never to step foot in the village again. I begged my mother not to let this happen but she didn't care. I was a disgrace. I walked for days. Eventually, the tears stopped and exhaustion took its place. I found this abandoned ruin and have liver here ever since. Cwl eventually told me he only revealed himself in that moment to scare them into letting me live. He saved me.
I owe everything to Cwl. He's been good to me and in the end I regret nothing. Or at least I'd like to think so.
Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I didn't go into the forest that night. If I could have just matched with someone as easily as the others did. I tried, I really did. My mother was so upset that day I came back without making a spirit pact. She said no ones ever not connected before. My father worried in silence.
I felt like I had to do something so I broke the tribal rule. I went into the forest at night. All the children had been told the stories of evil spirits eating souls, of how if you made a pact with a night spirit your soul wouldn't cross over to the afterlife when you died. The spirit would keep it, devour it.
I didn't care. I had to link with a spirit before the Coming of Age ceremony in the morning. So I snuck out of my hut and ran into the darkness. I headed into the deepest part of the forest, the forbidden part. The part of the forest that stayed dark day or night. It was cold a quiet. I was scared.
Eventually, night spirits came to devour me, a quick meal to torment. I ran deeper trying to escape their clutches. Red eyes. Sharp fangs. Blood dripped mouths. I tripped and curled into a ball ready to accept my fate when a booming voice called out, "Close your eyes." I did and in that second the gnashing of teeth and growls ceased.
As I looked up, a large bird-like creature kneeled over me. It stood, stretched out its wings, and began to walk away, "Go home." It called out. I stood up, tears in my eyes, "I can't. Please, create a pact with me." I was desperate. I couldn't fail twice.
The spirit stopped and looked at me. He asked if I knew about my soul and what would happen if I made a deal with him. I knew, of course I knew, but I had no other choice. The spirit was impressed by my commitment and agreed. He got face to face with me and said, "This is going to hurt like nothing you've ever felt before but it won't last forever. Let's see if you survive."
I dont really remember what happened after that. It got dark, I could hear screams. Were they mine? Pain. I felt pain. Breaking, crushing, stretching. Excruciating pain. And then I woke up. I was at the edge of the forest, a small creature, half-owl, half-cat by my side.
Drums started beating as I hurried into the village. I lined up with the other children ready to present my spirit. When my turn came around people were shocked to see me. The village chief grabbed my arm, looking in fear at my pact tattoo. He hurried me into a tent, calling out to my parents to follow.
Inside the tent it happened so fast. The chief saying the tattoo was a mark from a night spirit, my mother crying, my father in shock. I had broken the greatest rule and I had to be punished. The chief said death was the only option. My father begged for my life as my mother stood silent, unable to look at me.
Cwl suddenly appeared behind me in full spirit form, "How dare you decide the fate of my host! This girl is mine to do with as I please! Killing one of your own, how disgusting you creatures are. I should destroy this village where it stands."
Everyone was terrified. My mother screamed as I tried to explain how Cwl saved me in the forest, that he wasn't all bad. No one listened.
In the end I was banished, never to step foot in the village again. I begged my mother not to let this happen but she didn't care. I was a disgrace. I walked for days. Eventually, the tears stopped and exhaustion took its place. I found this abandoned ruin and have liver here ever since. Cwl eventually told me he only revealed himself in that moment to scare them into letting me live. He saved me.
I owe everything to Cwl. He's been good to me and in the end I regret nothing. Or at least I'd like to think so.
Comments
Post a Comment