When Two Become One
20 Eleint, 1487 DR
Only two things in life are for sure: We need to eat and one day we'll die.
I never expected spirits to need to eat as well. Actually, only night spirits need to eat. I guess that's why they're seen as evil.
When you make a pact with a spirit, its a mutual relationship. Shifters borrow the power of the spirit whenever need be to get stronger for a certain amount of time. That's it. No strings attached. It's quite a serious relationship and the spirit just does the Shifters bidding so it can have a physical form.
As for night spirits, there's more of a catch. When you make a pact with one it needs to feed on your life source to stay alive, physical form or not. These spirits have been cursed to feel hunger like the mortals of Faerun. If they don't feed they go insane which is why most go around possessing and killing people.
Cwl revealed all of this to me when I turned 18. He had been starving himself for five years until I reached human adulthood. He felt it was wrong to feed on a child, as the process can be frightening for a young one.
I was quite surprised as I had never been told any of this when I was a part of the tribe. Cwl then asked for permission to feed on me. I, of course, said yes. He had been starving! Trying to fight away the insanity and screams from previous souls eaten. I had no idea and felt awful.
The first feeding was...strange. Painful. He was in his humanoid form, body covering mine, as he bit into my arm. I could feel my life being drained. It was painful and exhausting but over quite quickly. I asked him if he had had his fill and Cwl commented that he could always feed more. He didn't want to exhaust me too much. He wasn't cruel and he'd just feed again tomorrow.
As the years past I've gotten use to the pain. Cwl usually only feeds once every couple weeks or so. I still make sure to ask him if he needs to but his answer is always the same: "I'll let you know."
I wonder if he's still holding back for my sake.
Only two things in life are for sure: We need to eat and one day we'll die.
I never expected spirits to need to eat as well. Actually, only night spirits need to eat. I guess that's why they're seen as evil.
When you make a pact with a spirit, its a mutual relationship. Shifters borrow the power of the spirit whenever need be to get stronger for a certain amount of time. That's it. No strings attached. It's quite a serious relationship and the spirit just does the Shifters bidding so it can have a physical form.
As for night spirits, there's more of a catch. When you make a pact with one it needs to feed on your life source to stay alive, physical form or not. These spirits have been cursed to feel hunger like the mortals of Faerun. If they don't feed they go insane which is why most go around possessing and killing people.
Cwl revealed all of this to me when I turned 18. He had been starving himself for five years until I reached human adulthood. He felt it was wrong to feed on a child, as the process can be frightening for a young one.
I was quite surprised as I had never been told any of this when I was a part of the tribe. Cwl then asked for permission to feed on me. I, of course, said yes. He had been starving! Trying to fight away the insanity and screams from previous souls eaten. I had no idea and felt awful.
The first feeding was...strange. Painful. He was in his humanoid form, body covering mine, as he bit into my arm. I could feel my life being drained. It was painful and exhausting but over quite quickly. I asked him if he had had his fill and Cwl commented that he could always feed more. He didn't want to exhaust me too much. He wasn't cruel and he'd just feed again tomorrow.
As the years past I've gotten use to the pain. Cwl usually only feeds once every couple weeks or so. I still make sure to ask him if he needs to but his answer is always the same: "I'll let you know."
I wonder if he's still holding back for my sake.
Comments
Post a Comment